Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Andy, Resident Artist!

Picture: Andy and Juan Pablo with their masterpieces!




Wednesday, August 11th
Journal by Andy




Today I went straight to work on my armadillo drawing and I soon came to the realization that I would be spending much of the trip doing artwork. I spent the first two days at CASEM helping Art and Daryl with plumbing as well as doing a bit of chair sanding. Once the women of the COOP found out I had attended art school, however, I was quickly put to work creating drawings for a large mural, as well as smaller cartoons to be used on shirts. With the help of Fio, Catalina, and Jose Pablo, I came up with several comical representations of native Costa Rican animals.

This is not at all what I expected from this trip and it brings me great joy to not only be able to reconnect with my visual arts that I have ignored for almost two years now, but to also learn from the other artists in the community, both young and old, and share skills and ideas.

CASEM is a wonderful organization and it is held together by some of the kindest, most talented individuals I have ever encountered. I am incredibly lucky to be able to work here for two weeks, and even though I must soon attend to my life back in America, there is a large part of me that wishes I could stay here for much, much longer.

No comments: