Friday, June 7, 2013

Volunteering right in the cloud forest

Earlier in the week, Ellie, Justin, Maggie, and I were informed that on Friday, instead of volunteering at Colegio, we would be providing our services to the Santa Elena Reserve. So on Friday morning the four of us departed by van for the aforementioned location. It was about a 10-15 minute van ride to our destination. But, being subject to challenging aspects of this country such as poor road conditions and the inconsistency of wireless Internet connections has really opened my eyes to the luxuries that I enjoy and take for granted in the United States. This has become my primary motivation to put forth the effort to volunteer my services to better this community. 

Once we reached Santa Elena Reserve, we were put to work with cleaning the area surrounding the welcome center. While working I was able to appreciate the natural beauty of the environment that I was working in. Observing the exotic plant and wildlife was an indescribable experience that will hopefully stay in my memory for the remainder of my life. Being in this type of setting has really changed my overall outlook on the environment by providing me with a first-hand experience of the beauty of Mother Nature at its finest. After we worked to clean up the welcome center area, we walked about twenty minutes away from the reserve to an area just off the road. There we helped in unloading 1,500 baby trees that were to be planted throughout the area by other volunteers. It is very rewarding to know that I volunteered my time, energy, and money to enhance the beauty of this area of rainforest. I hope that others can follow in our footsteps by volunteering themselves to better the world that we live in!



"Sombrilla" leaves - great for shade! 


A koati at the reserve who let us watch him for quite a while!

Entry submitted by: Matt

Message of the Day - Matt: "Love is not patronizing and charity isn't about pity, it is about love. Charity and love are the same -- with charity you give love, so don't just give money but reach out your hand instead." - Mother Teresa 


No comments: