Thursday, June 6, 2013

The amazing science fair!

Buenas noches. Today was, at long last, the science expo at Colegio. Much of our work before now has been leading up to this event and I'd like to think it was executed just as fantastically as it was envisioned. With dancing, awards, and important members of the Monteverde community present, this was definitely a day to remember for both us and the students of Colegio.

We volunteers were humbly asked to be honorary judges during this time of ceremony. Our task involved inspecting and evaluating different science projects or research studies performed by the students, and, although the language barrier made us feel a little distanced from the process, we were still able to appreciate the fun and importance in the hard work that was performed. In the end, a winner was declared and awards were distributed accordingly, but all of the students should be proud of the hours they put into making these presentations.

A Costa Rican folkloric dance performed at the opening of the science fair 

Ellie discussing the science projects with another judge 


Matt, Justin, and Walter evaluating science projects


Our new friends Daniel and Wilmer with their science project 

At the end of the day, Francisco assured us that we would indeed be working at an actual reserve tomorrow. We even discovered that we would also be at the reserve Monday because of a region-wide strike, of all things! I’m not complaining. I'm ready to see some animals.

At the end of the night, we went out to get some pizza (my favorite), and afterward we met Francisco at a local hangout to relax. Now comes the sad news. I bailed on my comrades early to head back to the inn and try to get a WiFi connection, but to no avail. That makes this the first night that I haven't been able to talk to my mom or a certain special someone who I'm used to talking to almost all day, every day. It's not the end of the world or anything, but it does put into perspective how far away you are when you lose the ability to communicate.

So, I have a bittersweet day as I prepare to close out my first week in Costa Rica. 


Entry submitted by: Justin

Message of the Day - Justin: "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine of Hippo



No comments: